Sunday, August 18, 2013

August 17, 2013 -- A Year Later in Oberursel

August 17, 2013 -- A Year Later . . .

It is hard to believe that a year ago, or just about, we arrived in Oberursel (we actually arrived in Oberursel August 1, 2012).  As we landed in Germany 10 days ago, Katie, Sarah and I were reminiscing about our first few days.  Our first trip on the train; Christopher's first attempt at a German menu (ordering garlic bread when he thought he was ordering sausage); learning what spiegelei (fried egg) means the hard way; and of course, getting a grocery cart for the first time at Edeka.

As they started their senior year this past Wednesday, they both commented how happy they were that  it was not last year -- when they only knew each other and were sure that they had made the mistake of their lives by agreeing to move to Germany.  Instead, both of them talked about how they could not wait to get back to Germany.  While they are a little apprehensive about the workload at school, they love being in Germany.

Then there are the dogs.  Last year, they arrived in Oberursel in the their crates after a long plane ride and five weeks away from us. This year, so to speak, we were shipped to them.  Four hours after our flight arrived from the U.S., we anxiously drove to the kennel in Germany and picked them up.  They were thrilled to see us.  Having survived three weeks without us, they easily settled back into their daily routines -- which of course include walks in their forest.  Yesterday, on our walk, Ana found the only mud puddle in the forest.  After submerging herself in it, she then rolled in who knows what.  She was so happy and dirty when we returned that I couldn't even stop to take a picture.  She smelled like a sewer so . . out to the backyard for a bath.  I am confident that if they could talk that they would tell me that they much prefer the woods in Oberursel to Woodbury, CT.

And Chris . . . well his Blackberry works very well here, as well as the U.S.  He traded a 40 minute commute one way for an hour or so commute one way (even longer kilometer wise, but with no speed limit he makes up time).  However, his trip from the airport here is wonderful only 20 minutes compared to 2 and a half plus hours in the U.S.  Commute aside, he has had an opportunity to see his girls take full advantage of the opportunites afforded to them in Germany.   He loves taking walks in the forest.  He appreciates the quiet on a Sunday -- remember everything is closed.  He too has enjoyed the great people we have met here.  And, at times, he has had an opportunity to see and enjoy Germany, a country that he travelled to frequently, but never really got to see and enjoy before this past year.

So where does that leave me?  Probably more than the kids, Chris and the dogs -- I miss Woodbury -- in particular, our family (particularly that boy at NYU) and dear friends.  I also miss teaching at Pomperaug High School.  With that said, when I arrived in Germany this time, my girls were happy, confident, excited and less worried.  Instead of talking to myself (which I did frequently the beginning of last year), I have been fortunate to have met and become friends with a small group of women from my German class as well as my next door neighbor -- talking, laughing or crying with them is far more fun than doing it alone.  I know how to get a shopping cart.  I can use enough German to order food at a restaurant or at a grocery store.  I love the walks in the forest, particularly when I can get Chris to take a break from his work. I no longer have to go to Southbury, CT to get my hair cut and colored (I have found a hairdresser in Oberursel who I like).  I have travelled to Brussels, Italy, the Czech Republic, Great Britain, France, Luxembourg and the Netherlands this past year.

So, no one can deny that this past year has been a great experience for all of us.  We look foward to 2013-2014.  A big year for K & S, a chance for more travel and the opportunity to enjoy the friendships we have made here.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how touched I felt reading this. I am so happy for you and the girls and Chris. Isn't it amazing when you look back and see everything at a flash? Much easier and a lot more inspiring than when you were going through it, day by day.
    I hope your great adventure continues to evolve. Now that everyone in your household seems to have found their rhythm it's time for you to spread your wings. Change is no match for you:-)) Get out there and play.

    ReplyDelete