Wednesday, September 12, 2012

September 11, 2012 -- Mac's Couch -- A Challenge But Worth It!

September 11, 2012

O.k., I promise that this is my last IKEA story. On Monday, I went to my now "favorite" store and purchased a couch and a bed for the guestroom -- HINT HINT WE WILL BE READY FOR GUESTS BY THE END OF THE WEEK.  Needless to say, I could not fit these items in my car so gathered what I purchased and went to Transport.  In addition to having them delivered, I wanted to have them assembled.  The date for assembly did not work for me so I decided I would brave it on my own and assemble the pieces.  Without assembly, the deliver date was the next day between 7 am and 2 pm (a lovely window).  So, I wake the next morning and get K and S to the bus stop. (YES, I said the bus stop.  The bus comes at 8:08 and they get to school by 8:25.  The bus that picks them up is a huge coach bus -- like the buses U.S. schools use to travel to places like D.C. -- no yellow buses here)  Then I wait and wait and wait. IKEA finally arrives at 12:30 pm.  I decide to put the couch together first.  Surprisingly, the couch is relatively easy to put together.  By 1:30, a mere hour later, I am ready to put the last pieces on the couch -- the legs.  Seems too easy right?  Well, when I went to put the last leg on the couch, I discovered a defect in the couch.  The hole where the screw was supposed to meet the rest of the couch had wood jammed in it.  After using a few choice words, I took part of the couch apart and headed to IKEA with the arm of the sofa.  I know the routine -- go to the customer service area and take a number.  When my number is called she explains to me that she will have to order it.  She could quickly tell that I was not happy as I have thoughts in my head of a partially assembled couch back at my house that will have to wait for a new arm.  She jumped in and said her English was not so good -- what she meant was that she had to get it from the warehouse and that it would take 15 minutes.  She even told me not to wait in the line that when I was finished shopping just to come right up to her and she would give me the right piece.  Within a short time my couch arm was delivered, I took it home and completed the couch.  A few minutes later, Mac tried out the couch and decided that she liked it!


Mac's new couch minus Mac!

Mac enjoying her couch!

Ditto!

One last point about the couch.  Across from the couch is a big picture window.  As Mac was lying on the couch, she noticed her reflection in the window.  She jumped up from the couch, raised her hackles and barked furiously at her image.  It took us several minutes to calm her down.  K commented that she has never seen her react so aggressively.  Clearly, Mac is not afraid of many dogs, but she is afraid of herself.  She probably has no idea how large she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment