Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October 16, 2012 -- Museum Visit

October 16, 2012 -- Museum Visit

Today, I visited the Städel Museum in Frankfurt.  The woman who runs the relocation company that helped us with the move to Germany, periodically organizes events for her clients.  This event was a guided tour of the Städel Museum by an art history teacher followed by lunch in the café at the Museum.  I decided to take the train into Frankfurt as parking is impossible.  I managed to figure out the correct stop for the museum and then to ask directions from the stop to the museum ("Wo ist das Städel Museum?").  The tour was amazing.  The art history teacher, who is self taught, choose three rooms in the museum and gave us an introductory art history lesson for two hours.   In addition to the lesson, we saw a Rembrandt and a Vermeer.  The Vermeer, the Geographer, is off to the side in a room with other paintings -- virtually ignored.  The teacher explained that when that painting goes on tour people line up around the block to get a look at it.  After the tour, our group had lunch at the cáfe.  I took the train home, but this time I crossed over the Main River.  My fellow group member (also in my German class) pointed out the historic section of Frankfurt further down the river and then showed me how to get to the Main Train Station in Frankfurt.  We took the train home together.  When I arrived home, I let Mac and Ana out of their room.  I suppose I should be greatful that after being left alone for 7 hours Mac only chewed the arm of the couch (the same spot she had damaged weeks ago).  It was a great day!

Städel Museum

View of the Museum from the bridge

A view of the historic area of Frankfurt (where the tall steeple is)





Looks like New England doesn't it!


I signed up for an art history course offered by this teacher on Flemish Art.  After the course, the class will travel to Brussels.

Here are a few pictures of the Museum,  the treeline along the river and the historic area further down the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment