Tuesday, October 23, 2012

October 18, 2012 -- Watch Out! Someone May Be Watching!

October 18, 2012 -- Smile You Just Got Flashed

I worked at the FIS Bookstore Wednesday and I got a lesson on traffic cameras and tickets in Germany.     I have to admit that I was aware that there were traffic cameras at certain intersections.  (They constantly move the cameras around so you can't get too comfortable)  But, I figured that it couldn't be that easy to get a ticket.  I thought you would have to be going at least 10 kilometers over the speed limit to get a ticket (keep in mind we are talking kilometers not miles).  I was quickly informed that people receive tickets if they are going  more than 4 kilometers over the speed limit.  What happens is that the camera flashes if you are caught speeding, going through a traffic signal, riding the bumper of another car on the Autobahn etc. and it takes a picture of the driver of the car (no squirming out of your ticket).  In about a month, you receive the ticket in the mail.  I suppose the good news is that you do not receive any points if you are going less than 20 kilometers over the speed limit.

Why am I so concerned?  Well,  while I make every attempt to observe the speed limit, it is not always so simple.  For example, on the hill by my house the speed limit is 30 kilometers (about 20 miles an hour).  I can barely get my car to go up the hill at 30.  On other roads, I am not even sure of the speed limit (speed limits are not that standard here (no 65 mph on highways-- remember at times there is no speed limit on the Autobahn).  Not to mention, some roads the speed limit will be 30 kilometers, then you will go a kilometer and it will change to 60 and then you will go another kilometer and it will revert back to 30.  Since there is a month's delay before you receive your tickets, who knows what the future may hold for me!  Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment