Monday, November 12, 2012

November 6, 2012 -- Lunch with a Friend

November 6, 2012 -- Lunch with a Friend

I returned from the U.S. on Monday.  Other than a one hour nap in the afternoon, I adjusted quite easily to the time difference.  On Tuesday, my neighbor and I decided to go out for lunch.  She chose a Korean restaurant.  After ordering lunch, we both decided to have Cola Light (Diet Coke).  We got our soda and began drinking it.  The soda was cold, but it did not have ice.  My neighbor said "Don't you think this needs ice?"  This statement was pretty ironic on two levels.   One -- the American, the one who can't live without ice sat there drinking the slightly warm soda without complaining and Two-- Katrin the Austrian/European who rarely uses ice felt the need to ask for ice.  To show off my German I said to the waitress -- Ich möchte eiswürfel bitte.  She looked at me as if I had 100 heads.  I turned to Katrin for German assistance.  Katrin said to me I would say the same thing so I can't help you. Bottom line -- we drank our warm soda.  Yes, I am adjusting to life in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment