Monday, August 20, 2012

August 20, 2012

August 20, 2012

Very hot day in Germany.  Temperatures reaching over 30 Celcius (I am told this means it is over 90 degrees).  No problem in Connecticut every place is air conditioned -- so much so we need sweatshirts. That would not be the case in Germany.  In fact, I went to a mall today to buy a printer.  There is a store there called Media Markt (Germany's answer to Best Buy).  The mall has a glass ceiling which is a problem because there is no air conditioning in the mall.

I have found the German people on the whole to be exceptionally friendly and helpful.  I was in the Post Office today trying to mail a document that had to be in Hartford by September 1st.  I started out at   Mail Boxes Etc., but they told me that it would cost 55 Euro to send my little envelope to Hartford.  So off I went to the Post Office.  I started off by saying "Sprechen Sie Englisch?"  Of course the Post Office man said -- "nein" -- meaning "no."  I looked a little flustered when the lady next to me said -- I can try and help you.  Her English wasn't perfect -- but a heck of a lot better than my German -- and after a few minutes she conveyed my thoughts to the Post Office man.  She translated his response and I was all set to go.  I was able to mail my envelope and save myself 50 Euro.  I thanked her again in English and German -- I am good at Danke.  She was truly very kind and I really did appreciate it.

K and S went to a Model U.N. meeting.  S will have to be a rising star to get to Paris -- Paris is for the experienced students.  If not, she will go to either the Hague or Milan -- still not too shabby.

The rest of week looks hot as well.  We will be getting used to fans here in Germany.






No comments:

Post a Comment