Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

August 6th -- Frankfurt

Chris was off to work for the first time since we arrived.  We got up and decided to take a trip to Frankfurt.  We got train tickets (we ended up paying twice the amount because we did not use the machine correctly).  The train ride to Frankfurt from Oberursel was only 25 to 30 minutes long.  We had lunch in a cafe and then purchased a panini machine (to make lunch in the hotel since we will be living there for 3 more weeks) and a fan.  We found a bookstore that sells English language books.  Our last stop in Frankfurt was Starbucks -- Katie and Sarah thoroughly enjoyed their ice teas.

Monday night we had our first real German meal.  We went  to Alt Oberurseler Brauhaus, a beer house in Oberursel that brews 16 different types of beer.  Most of us had roast pork with red cabbage and bread dumplings.  Christopher had Wienerschnitzel.  The food as well as the drinks were excellent -- Sehr Gut!


Brauhaus House
The Brewery





August 7, 2012:  The American goes to the Grocery Store
This morning we decided to eat breakfast in, so Sarah and I ventured to the  supermarket, a little less than a kilometer from the hotel. Sarah went to get coffee down the street, so I was left to shop on my own.  So, it should not seem too difficult to walk over to the carts, pull one out and go on your way.  Such is not the case in Germany.  The carts are locked together with a key that is attached to a chain that attaches to another cart.  After wrestling with the cart, I watched others get a cart.  It seemed so easy, simply place something in the slot and the cart released.  After wandering around the parking lot for 5 minutes, I went up to the woman at the information desk.  I said "Sprechen Sie Englisch?"  She responded with " a little."  I then asked my question -- how do you get a cart.  She said oh you want to join the club and handed me an application (I might add -- completely in German) so that I could get a card for the supermarket.  I proceeded to walk into the store and hold all of my items in my hands, I checked out and found Sarah.  I got home and Googled "grocery cart in Germany" and found my answer.  In order to release the cart, you have to deposit one Euro in the slot.  When you return the cart to the proper place and lock it up, you get your Euro back.  While incredibly frustrating for me at the time, it makes perfect sense.  There are no carts rolling around the parking lot and there is no need for a worker to gather the carts and bring them into the store.  This experience was a reminder to me, however, that I have a lot to learn.



August 8,  2012
I picked my car up at the dealer, a loaner until the leased car can be registered.   Sarah, Katie and I went to town to walk around.  We found a store called "Rompels" which looked like the German version of Williams Sonoma, a very nice store which had gas grills, small appliances and everyday china etc.   We also saw some very nice grocery baskets.  Apparently, in Europe, people purchase grocery baskets (then you don't have to figure out how the grocery carts work) and use them when they go to the grocery store.  I am not sure I am ready to do that yet, but time will tell.   After window shopping and exploring, Katie, Sarah and I had coffee and snacks at a cafe.  We must admit the cafe thing in the afternoon has become a habit -- clearly something we love about Germany.  The ice-cream and pretzels as well! 






1 comment:

  1. Well I am having the worst time commenting here....I hope I got it correct this time....

    Deb I could have taught you something...a very rare occasion so forgive me if I boast.. My experience on the other side of the tracks, sort of speak has led me to places where they chain up the grocery carts. Now in Germany it is perfectly reasonable to think that it is an organizational thing, but in Waterbury....I know you miss the culture and fine elegance of Waterbury.... I think it is more a method to keep the homeless and destitute from stealing them and turning them into scrap metal..lol I do remember the watch and figure it out moment for me. Keep me laughing, enjoy the cafe hour and embrace the adventure!!

    ReplyDelete